Saturday, July 14, 2012

What's working now, as I start this blog

Well...

Everything... and some... and none...

Most of this project is based on other's work, which is working... Samba 4 acts as a DC for many sites... In fact I have worked on a few big companies where locally assembled versions of older Samba, OpenLDAP, Bind, and Kerberos have been combined to act as a DC and groupware for windows hosts... but little of this is documented publicly and much of it is highly specialized to their needs.

In my house are 2 networks that I have set up for this project...

My Production network (for lack of a better term) has a  Linux host acting as server to Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS devices... It has Samba shares, IMAP email, Davical calendering and contacts,  iSCSI shares, and AppleTalk acting as a time capsule. My backup scripts work for my customized setup, and have even been tested in a baremetal recovery... but all of the services use local user authentication, and there was no easy, documented, repeatable way to build it from scratch...

My testing network consists of a donated consumer router running DD-WRT, an HP Proliant ML110 G3 ( a 2005 era Pentium 4 based small business server which was donated), and a Dell Optiplex Slim tower ( also donated) running Windows 7 Professional. I have successfully set up Samba4 as a domain controller on the server and added the workstation to the domain.

So, my first step will be to use the .bash_history on the test server to make a script to turn a fresh Ubuntu 12.04 server install into a Samba4 DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment